Along with everyone else, artists and entrepreneurs around the world are affected by the economic standstill created by this pandemic. If you are one, or know someone who would benefit from this info, please share. I have made this post public. You could help save someone’s livelihood, as they may not know or have access to the info on what is available out there! We are all in this together.
I have researched and compiled this list of resources and potential relief available to the self-employed, including gig workers, solo-entrepreneurs, and small businesses. Please keep in mind, that I am writing this with a focus on the U.S. and Guam, but I include resources that cover a broader, global scope as well.”
FIRST AND FOREMOST…
FOR THOSE IN URGENT SITUATIONS HERE ON GUAM:
THOSE IN NEED OF FOOD AND BASIC NECESSITIES: Please contact your village mayor to find out what resources are available to families and individuals in need. For food, call Catholic Social Services emergency food bank at (671)635-1442 or (671)635-1443. You can also contact the Salvation Army Food Bank at (671)477-9855. Call first to find out how to take advantage.
FOOD FOR CHILDREN: GRAB N GO SCHOOL MEAL PROGRAM:
APPLY FOR LOCAL PUBLIC ASSISTANCE LIKE SNAP FOOD ASSISTANCE AND MEDICAID: Visit the Guam Department of Public Health & Social Services Website for an application you can download and print. Direct link to application: http://dphss.guam.gov//wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Application-for-Public-Benefits-form-APPROVEDVERSION.pdf
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS EXPERIENCING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OR EVEN A POTENTIALLY ABUSIVE SITUATION: Please contact our local VARO (Victim Advocates Reaching Out) 24/7 Hotline Services at (671)477-5552.
GUAM CRISIS HOTLINE: If you are experiencing depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, or are otherwise in need of immediate counseling, call (671) 647-8833/ 647-8834.
RESOURCES & RELIEF LIST FOR ARTISTS & ENTREPRENEURS (U.S. & GLOBAL) TO EXPLORE:
1. PATREON- If you are a creator of any kind, get on Patreon. It is a platform and community offering stable and direct relationships with your Patrons. With time, it can also become a stable income stream. Additionally, Patreon is allowing creators to apply for financial assistance until April 14th through a fund they have created. If you would like help in setting up a creator page, please message me! I am happy to share everything I know about creating and sharing on Patreon. You can also email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. CLICK HERE TO MAKE YOUR CREATOR PAGE.
2. U.S. GOV. STIMULUS-
USA GOV Financial Assistance After a Disaster: https://www.usa.gov/disaster-financial-help
“The CARES Act kicks off a massive economic stimulus effort that, among other things, could put cash directly in your pocket soon. Here’s a rundown of how much money you might get, how it will arrive and when.
· How much is my stimulus payment?
The U.S. Treasury will disburse up to $1,200 per adult and $500 per child under age 17. A married couple with two kids could get $3,400, for example.
Keep an eye on the IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief page for tax relief updates.
SBA Loans and Disaster Assistance: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance
Expanded Unemployment Benefits to Include Gig Workers and Self Employed: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/coronavirus-relief-bill-what-to-know-about-unemployment-benefits.html
3. Emergency Grants and Crowdfunding, Financial Relief Resources for Artists During COVID-19: In the face of the unknown, artists have, unsurprisingly, gotten creative about how they are changing their artistic practice. However, if you, like many, are finding that you need additional financial resources to get you through this time, there are emergency grants available for artists. We, like many other arts organizations right now, have compiled a list of emergency resources for artists as well an ongoing list of crowdfunding efforts to provide financial relief for artists. View comprehensive list here: https://www.artworkarchive.com/blog/financial-relief-resources-for-artists-during-covid-19
4. Adobe Blog: Grants & Resources for Artists During COVID-19: At Adobe Stock, we want to do everything we can to support our amazing community of designers, illustrators, and artists. That’s why we’ve rounded up this list of top resources and grants for artists who may be seeking a little help. If you’ve lost work, have been hit with a medical emergency, or are worried about keeping the (virtual) doors of your business open, here are some options to get the financial support you need. https://theblog.adobe.com/grants-and-resources-for-artists-during-covid-19/
5. Americans for the Arts website is a GREAT resource right now!! A comprehensive list for arts organizations and individuals to explore resources and funding opportunities at https://www.americansforthearts.org/by-topic/disaster-preparedness/coronavirus-covid-19-resource-and-response-center
6. Artist Relief Project– “Any artist in any discipline who has been impacted by COVID19-related cancellations and closures may apply for assistance. Stipends and support will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis, with the only limitation being how much money we are able to raise. The only requirements are (1) you demonstrate you’re an artist by sharing your resume and website, where applicable, and (2) you share this fundraiser with your own networks and provide a screenshot of that activity.” More info and application at https://artistreliefproject.org
7. Financial Strategies for Freelance Artists in a Time of Crisis (ASL & Captioned Video): In this interactive discussion, financial planner, tax preparer, organizer, and artist Amy Smith will guide individual artists in thinking about both the practical (emergency funds, safety net programs, debt management, taxes, negotiating with lenders) and the philosophical/emotional (understanding shame and impostor syndrome, building collectives, modeling radical transparency) elements of financial preparedness, and offer resources and support to help freelance artists get through this challenging time. Watch it here: https://howlround.com/happenings/financial-strategies-freelance-artists-time-crisis-asl-captioned
8. 7 Personal Finance Tips for Artists Impacted by Covid-19
Watch it here: https://youtu.be/y1ZZotwqiSU