I took this photo this morning, while I was reflecting on what went well last week, and where my focus will be this week. I’m reminding myself of the basic essentials of my own wellbeing and why I do what I do. People ask me all the time, “How do you sustain creativity? How do you stay inspired?” The short answer is that I make my wellbeing a priority. I saturate my life with things that inspire me.
Do what makes you feel alive and happy. It’s worth it. You are worth it. The people you love are worth it. In my experience, the greatest gift we can give ourselves and the world around us is taking responsibility for our own wellbeing.
If you are a “list person,” here is a list of the 10 Basic Essentials to Creating Your Own Wellbeing:
- Ask yourself “What makes me feel alive and happy?” and write down your answer(s). What do you need most right now to function optimally? Go do it now.
- Quality sleep, rest, relaxation.
- Quality food, drink, and all other consumption. Be mindful of what you choose to consume.
- Cleanse yourself. Take a deep breath, take a shower, refresh yourself!
- Move your body! Dance, climb, jump, stretch, swim, play, run, walk, breathe, lift, bend. Let energy move you and move through you.
- Cleanse your thoughts! Be nice to yourself. Speak to yourself kindly, lovingly, respectfully. Question your thoughts and beliefs. Be open to not knowing, to uncertainty. Release negative and limiting thoughts. Don’t take things personally. Consider the other possibilities. Don’t assume. Give people the benefit of the doubt for the sake of your own peace of mind. Everyone is experiencing things from their own perspective, and things aren’t always what they seem.
- Take responsibility for your choices and what you allow in your life. Embrace where you’ve been, where you are, and take steps toward where you want to go. Make requests, not complaints, and be open to solutions.
- Cleanse your life of toxic relationships! Decide if it’s worth investing your energy, and continually reassess. Let go of people who are continually draining to your life and spirit. Invest in quality relationships. Your energy is precious and essential to your wellbeing.
- Have fun! Laugh, play, enjoy and appreciate. Find things that make your heart sing, surround yourself with people who bring you joy, saturate your life with media (music, shows, talks, images) that uplifts you.
- Appreciate life. Find little things to appreciate, and expand to appreciating all of life, even the parts you don’t like. Feeling truly thankful for one thing, or all things, is a priceless feeling, and perhaps the most essential to your wellbeing.